A journal of two families trying to eat local pacific northwest foods for the month of August.

Why? To bring awareness, to support local farms and business, to eat healthier, try new foods...

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Changing the rules

I need to give myself a break with eating 100% locally grown and sourced food from WA or OR. I was starving myself last week (because I didn't have time to fix myself a lunch and figured I could go to Safeway and get something...all I could find was cheese & kettle chips, sad really). This expirement isn't about eating 100% locally sourced and grown foods, but about learning where the food that I put in my body comes from and trying new eats that are grown locally.

 I'm a working mom of two and trying to juggle work and kids is a lot to manage. When you throw in only eating local foods, it gets complicated very fast. Last week all I was doing was working and cooking. It's not sustainable. So, I'm telling myself that it is okay if I have to have the occasionally cracker that was made in WA, but don't have confirmation on the source of the ingredients or the cucmber grown in British Columbia.

Also, it's summertime and there are a lot of events outside the house (play dates, work events, book clubs, friends cabin's, etc.). It's just not possible to bring a cooler with you whereever you go. Plain and simple, I just don't have the time to do it. I was talking to a friend this morning about it and she said, well remember in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle she said when they went over to friends house they didn't have to eat local. I wish I would have remember that on August 1, because I wouldn't have starved myself last week and stressed about packing lunches for the whole family.  I feel better already.


No comments:

Post a Comment