A journal of two families trying to eat local pacific northwest foods for the month of August.

Why? To bring awareness, to support local farms and business, to eat healthier, try new foods...

Monday, August 2, 2010

Hmmm...I really Backed Myself into a Corner

I've found trying to go local while being vegan really puts the handcuffs on the old diet. If you see a guy eating dandelions and blackberrys (the eating kind, not the emailing kind) on the side of the road that would be me. "Brother, can you spare a piece of bread made from grains grown in the nortwest and egg replacer instead of real eggs?"

I'm up for the challenge though. I really like how going local will force us to eat almost every meal at the house. I love to cook while Tatum runs around behind me and Piper crawls at my feet trying to get into whatever is in the cabinets under the sink. I also like variety when cooking (just ask Jill, she has to constantly remind me to keep it simple and cook something I've already done when in a hurry). Going loco...l mean local will force us to get creative with the dinner time menu.

The biggest difference for me will be not eating out for lunch. Just ask Guy, my friends and I get around town for lunch. I usually need the social break so I'm going to have to figure out some other way to get my daily laughing sessions in. Today I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich made from Randall picked blackberrys and homemade peanut butter. On the side I had the best cherries of the season with a fresh peach. For a snack I had some of our homemade blackberry oat bars. Not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment