A journal of two families trying to eat local pacific northwest foods for the month of August.

Why? To bring awareness, to support local farms and business, to eat healthier, try new foods...

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Preperation

One really needs to be prepared to "go local". We probably weren't as prepared as we should have been. I don't think we quite knew what were getting into. This is going to take a lot of work, but we are up to the task. We packed the kids up Saturday morning and hit the University Farmers Market with not much of a list. We knew we needed the staples, but wasn't sure what we would find. We found this great vendo Bluebird Grain Farms, that grows grains in Eastern Washington. We also picked up some local tomatoes & vegetables. I then ventured to PCC & Eat Local and picked up some more eats. Tim and I made peanut butter this evening along with some Emmer Farro. Looking forward to tomorrow's eats.

4 comments:

  1. I will try the peanut butter for lunch today. My night to cook is Wednesday. Trying to find pasta made from local ingredients. There is a "pasta guy" at the market so that will be my first stop.

    The crumble was awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting farm in Eastern Washington

    http://www.crown-s-ranch.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow -- the crumble looked awesome. I have no idea where you guys find the time and energy to do all this after working and chasing kids all day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should be able to find local pasta...I know there is a vendor at the Issaquah Market.

    ReplyDelete