A journal of two families trying to eat local pacific northwest foods for the month of August.

Why? To bring awareness, to support local farms and business, to eat healthier, try new foods...

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Is eating "San Juan Granola" for 30 days really the point?

OK so I'm on my 3rd day of breakfast for our project, and once again I headed right for the cupboard and the local granola that I snagged over the weekend. Now admittedly I'm a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast, as I usually eat it standing at the kitchen sink listening to sports radio and can actually perform a maneuver where I scoop the cereal into my mouth, swallow it while I'm moving the bowl down to the sink, and rinse it out in one fluid motion as I run for the door and my first call of the day at work. It's impressive, trust me.

So I could literally eat granola every day for the rest of my life I love it so much, and with a ready supply of flavors and local availability, one could say that I easily have 1/3 of my daily challenge this month licked and crossed off my list.

But as I ate my oats this morning it occurred to me that being lazy about my breakfast choices and availability is kind of what gets us ingrained in a rut around not caring where our food comes from in the first place. As long as it fits into our routine and our time schedule, we grow to tolerate it, and that's not really the point of this exercise.

I'm already seeing that our food supply chain--even locally--is too easy and well honed to really make this a challenge if all I do is eat the same cereal, the same salad, and the same frozen dinner from the "Eat Local" store every day for this month. Now on one hand this is good news--if we can make it easier for people to eat locally and reduce the cycle time between grower and eater that's ideal and what we're ultimately out to prove is possible. But like my culinary hero Anthony Bourdain, I fear I will need a bigger challenge to make this worth my while for the next 4 weeks than frozen dinners from grass fed beef on the Spokane plains.

So I will now limit myself to granola 2 times a week, and find something else for the other 5 days--AND promise to actually eat breakfast, and not just drink my shade-grown-picked-by-fairies approved latte's every morning. And after today, no more frozen dinners as well--not only are they frozen and come out mushy (I am still struggling with the whole concept of frozen and local--shouldn't local mean fresh? See Barb's post yesterday), they are boring. And this project shouldn't be about boring.

Although homemade peanut butter grosses me out, so I don't think I'll be eating lunch with Tim anytime soon...

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree this project shouldn't be about boring! It's about bringing awareness to what we put in our bodies and about supporting our local farmers and that means experimenting with new ingredients and not running to the freezer. I like your challenge Guy! But, I'm disappointed about your Peanut Butter comment. Do you know what's in JIF peanut butter; do you know what those peanuts came from? Expect a home delivery of PB & Jam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see the Weismantels posting. A day goes my and I miss so much.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete