A journal of two families trying to eat local pacific northwest foods for the month of August.

Why? To bring awareness, to support local farms and business, to eat healthier, try new foods...

Monday, August 2, 2010

Does it Matter "Why" I'm Going Local?

Barb and I were excited to get started on this month-long initiative on eating local. Truthfully I'm as much into this for the challenge of seeing if I can do it vs. the virtues of shortening my food supply chain. Now don't get me wrong, I am all for freshness, organic food, humane treatment of animals, and all related and associated causes. I truly do believe there are health benefits to fresher produce that doesn't have chemicals all over them, and I like the idea of looking the grower of my pepper or green bean in the eye vs. seeing a sticker on a piece of unripened fruit that says "product of Chile."

Having said that, I just have to admit at the outset of this project that I'm approaching this much more to understand how eating local can be incorporated into the routine of a person who works outside of the house and travels around the world. And I think eating local initiatives should have room for this viewpoint and approach as well, given that we end up in the same place.

So off we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment