A journal of two families trying to eat local pacific northwest foods for the month of August.

Why? To bring awareness, to support local farms and business, to eat healthier, try new foods...

Thursday, August 5, 2010

We're Done Here; I've just had the best locally made sandwich EVAH!

I was thumbing through the recipes I've accumulated over the years looking for something I could make with some local foods today at lunch, when I stumbled upon the most simple, absolutely best sandwich I've had in--well I can't remember when. I now have my lunch done through the rest of the month, it's that awesome, AND it's amazingly simple:

1. Toast some locally bought wheat bread
2. IMMEDIATELY after it's done, slather on some mayo so that it melts into the bread
3. Put 3 slices of heirloom tomatoes on each slice of the bread--about 1/4 inch thick
4. Sprinkle some sea salt and black pepper on top of the tomatoes
5. Enter food nirvana

Now the recipe also called for basil on top, and I *was* going to try it but I literally ate the first slice so fast that I forgot to add it AND take a picture--so next time for sure. The epitome of summer in a sandwich!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very yummy...did you make the mayo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it would be really good with beechers flagship cheese on it.

    ReplyDelete