A journal of two families trying to eat local pacific northwest foods for the month of August.

Why? To bring awareness, to support local farms and business, to eat healthier, try new foods...

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 25 and I'm food exhausted

Low carb tortillas? Low-fat sour cream? Carb-control yogurt? Just a few of the things that you can't get locally. And yes, they are franken-foods!

A few of you know that I've been following a 30-day program that includes a meal plan and a workout regimen. Basically, I needed to shake things up, since my workout plan hasn't been doing anything for me lately. Besides the hardest workouts I've ever done, I am cooking every morsal of food that enters my mouth -- and it's a different, highly involved recipe for every meal. I've had amazing results so far, but all the cooking and shopping has exhausted me, and I'm having trouble finding the energy to cook my special meals AND find local foods.

For lunch today, I'm supposed to have an asparagus and walnut salad -- not exactly the time of year for fresh asparagus! Deviled eggs for a snack (local eggs, but I'm NOT making mayo just for two deviled eggs), and Braised pork with lemon and sage for dinner (lemon isn't local, and I'm going to have to search for pork shoulder -- which sounds so unappetizing to me). So, I've decided to eat local if I can, and not worry about it until after this crazy program is over. There is absolutely no way to eat local and follow someone else's meal plan!

It's pretty ironic, actually, that I normally don't eat all these types of franken-foods, but my "healthy eating" plan includes them. For breakfast this morning, it's Dannon Carb Control Yogurt (which I can't find anywhere, so I've already had to substitue Greek Yogurt). I'll put local cherries in my non-local Greek Yogurt this morning and be happy with that.

2 comments:

  1. Wow...that is a lot of work! Basically you have to stay home and cook all day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely so impressed with all of you! Group support must definately help...because I can't even bear the thought of this much work to eat....Fresh vegetables a plenty in these parts...but it will only last about 6 weeks....We'll move out to the commune soon :)

    ReplyDelete